Tag: sitemaps

 

Typo Upgrade

I’ve finally bit the bullet and upgraded Typo to the trunk, so I can get everything up to Rails 1.1. Unfortunately, this was quite a painful process…

Normally, I track bits of software I might want to hack on in a vendor branch in subversion, and use svn_load_dirs.pl to update to new releases. This works extremely well with wordpress at work, for instance.

Sadly, svn_load_dirs.pl couldn’t cope with the typo trunk, as a directory got replaced by a symlink. Ooops. I tried working around it, but eventually, it was easier to give up and start afresh, redoing the changes I’d already made in subversion. I suppose it would have been a lot easier with SVK.

Unfortunately, a number of things haven’t caught up with the latest typo changes. In particular, the origami theme that I was using needs some loving attention. So it’s back to the default theme, “azure” for the moment, until I can spend some time on it.

Also, I couldn’t figure out how to make the google sitemaps patch work, so that’s another “gone for now” feature.

Please let me know if you spot anything else…

Update: Comments now enabled. Sorry about that.

Update#2: I’ve now fixed the comments feed a bit. It turns out that one of the migrations missed out on creating guids for all the comments…

  % ruby script/console production
  >> comments = Comment.find_all
  >> comments.reject { |c| c.guid }.each { |c| c.create_guid; c.save }

Google Sitemaps

This morning, I used google sitemaps for the first time. Now, I’d heard of google sitemaps before, and I thought I knew what it was about—getting extra links to appear when your site appears in the search results.

Wrong!

That’s one part of it, but I had completely missed the more interesting bit: you can get to see inside Google for information about your site! When you sign up to sitemaps, Google tells you:

  • What searches lead to your site (and what position in the results). Although I have no idea why I’m #29 for “debug_client” (apparently).
  • What searches people clicked on to get to your site.
  • Errors that googlebot found whilst crawling your site.
  • Page analysis (I didn’t realise I was still serving lots of stuff as us-ascii instead of UTF-8 for example).
  • “and more…”

It’s incredibly easy to get going as well. Just login using your google account, add your sites URL in, and then touch the filename that they tell you in order to verify you control the site. It’s about a minutes work (ok, I already have a google account, so I didn’t have to register).

If you haven’t already done so, go and do this now. It’ll give you a much better understanding of your site.

Next up: Getting typo to generate a sitemaps file. I’ve started so I’ll finish!