I spent a little while yesterday attempting to work out how to get FastCGI installed. Unfortunately, because I’m using Apache 2.2, this wasn’t straightforward. In fact, I’d pretty much given up. Later on, I found this patch on the fastcgi-devel list, which purports to work (and looks like it will, given my experiences yesterday).
All this is just so that I can sensibly run Typo, a rails app. There are other ways to do it, but they’re less preferrable. I could use plain CGI, but that’s dog-slow. I could set up lighttpd, but I’d rather not, seeing as I’m already running Apache for so many other services. I suppose that I could run the standalone
script/server tool and use mod_proxy to connect to it. But I that means that I then have to ensure that the process stays up the whole time and gets started correctly. Overall, FastCGI seems like the best choice.
So, today I’ll have a go at plumbing that patch into the FreeBSD port.